Quotes and Sayings
The Essence of Quotations
Quotesandsayings.com is a pop-up free resources offering quotes, quotations and sayings organized by subject and by author. "Quotes and Sayings" collects in one online quotation resource the most famous sayings by the most famous writers, authors and speakers in history. Our website takes quotes and quips alike from both contemporary celebrities and famous commentators of modern times, along with orations from the best speech makers mankind has known.
We've collected the best and most profound passages from holy books and great literature from cultures and civilizations worldwide, as well as the most stirring speeches taken from the most pivotal moments in history. In our blog we collect the best movie quotes and song lyrics from American pop culture. (For example, see our recent blog posts about love quotes from movies [like Twilight quotes and sayings] and love quotes from songs.)
So what can Quotes & Sayings do for our visitors? I've compiled a list of twenty different ways people can use our quotes, quotations and quotable sayings in their own personal lives. Here's hoping you'll find that one of these ways applies to your life.
20 Things Quotes and Sayings Can Do For Our Visitors
- Help With Research Papers - People who want to spice their term papers and research papers with a few well-placed quotes can find good material here without pilfering through a quotes book.
- Speech Making and Toastmaster Occasions - Those who want to quote from a known speech when preparing to speak in public can find quotable quotes here. If you're getting into local politics, about to make a graduation speech, giving a presentation at your job or in college, or you just joined a toastmasters club, Quotes & Sayings offers great quotes from the most quotable orators in history.
- People Who Don't Like Excerpts - People who want to see the full text of a speech. For instance, I've read the "Finest Hour" speech in all kinds of Churchillian biographies and World War II books, but I'd never read the full text of the speech until I saw it given on this site. Those who want to read more than the excerpts of great speeches can do so on this site.
- Those Exploring Their Faith - If you want to learn a little bit of a holy text or piece of great literature, you can learn something from reading excerpts on this site. You can read excerpts from the Baghavad Gita on this website, giving you an idea if you might enjoy reading more of this Hindu holy text.
- The Erudite - If you want to learn quotes to sprinkle into your conversation to seem smart and well read, you can memorize quotes online for your next dinner party or engagement.
- Those Wanting To Keep Their Friends Honest - Do you have a friend who's been quoting a famous saying for years, but you think they're butchering the quote or saying? Check out to see if friends know what they're talking about when they quote some famous person.
- Learning Who Said What - When you hear a quote often, but you don't know where it came from, you can use Quotesa&Sayings internal search engine to look up the quote and see who first said it.
- Selecting Authors To Read - Read through our quotes and sayings to see which authors or speakers you should learn to read. If you particular like one quotation or you see one quote maker with several sayings that speak to you, consider picking up some of that person's writings and reading more.
- Learning About History - Learn about a historical moment by reading what people were saying about it when it happened. Quotes&Sayings has several speeches made by British prime ministers during the run up to World War II and during World War II, including speeches made by Neville Chamberlain and Winston Churchill.
- Love Inspiration - We have poems about inspiration in love, consolation for lost love and bittersweet poetry for everything in between. Quotesandsayings.com is a huge resource of love poems.
- Consolation For Life's Troubles - Amidst our archives of quotes, quotations and quotable sayings, we have wisdom about the more troubling sides of life. If you're having difficulties at work, in love or everyday relationships, you'll find quotes that discuss those issues. QuotesandSayings also has quotes about loss, for those who are dealing with death and other kinds of loss in their life.
- Connecting With Your Parents - On the next Mother's Day or Father's Day, take a look at our quotes about mothers or our quotes about fathers and place an appropriate quote on your annual Mothers or Fathers day card. Quotes & Sayings has both "Mother Quotes" and "Father Quotes".
- Coping With Your Mistakes - If you've made a mistake and you want a quote that sums up your mistake or helps to open or close an apology to your loved one, you can browse our "Mistakes Quotes" and find an appropriate saying about people making mistakes.
- Understanding the United Nations - Learn about the United Nations' mission statement. The initial UN statement from 1948 and the 50th anniversary UN Declaration.
- Motivation and Instruction in Life - We have a large number of "Motivation Quotes" and "Instructions For Life" on our site, which acts a guides, pointers and life tips you can read to motivate and inspire every day. These inspirational quotes are truths, truisms and just common sense pieces of advice that probably won't lead people astray if they follow them.
- Interested in History - We have a virtual copy of the July 8th, 1776 edition of the Pennsylvania Packet, aka The General Advertiser, which contains a printing of the Declaration of Independence of the 13 American colonies from the control of the English king and the British Empire. If you want to see what newspapers looked like in the 1770's or simply soak in the momentous moment when our nation was being born, just days after the signing of the Declaration of Independence by our Founding Fathers.
- Enjoying Mark Twain Quotes - Read the quotes of one of the most quotable Americans who's ever lived, or probably ever will live. Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain, commented on just about every aspect of American life in the second half of the 19th century. We have compiled a sizable compilation of Mark Twain's best quotes.
- Getting A Good Laugh - If Mark Twain doesn't do it for you, then maybe Ali G quotes will. We also have a "funny quotes" page, if you need a quick laugh or affirmation of the human spirit and its ability to poke fun at itself.
- Collecting Nature Quotes - Quotes about the seasons and nature and the elements that humans have lived in, coexisted with and often dreaded throughout the history of mankind. Our quotes and sayings discuss nature in all its forms, with a particular focus on the changing of seasons.
- See Your Favorite Quotes Online - We also have a collection of quotes submitted by readers on this website. If you have a quote that you think people should see, but you don't have a blog or website of your own, submit them to us and you might makes the "QuotesandSayings" visitors quotes page.
Looking at it another way, I can imagine Quotes & Sayings will attract all kinds of people, from readers to speakers to essay writers to literature lovers to people who just love throwing a good quote into their lunch talk. Here are 10 types of people who might use "Quotes and Sayings".
10 Types of People Best Served By Quotes&Saying Dot Com
- Essayists and Paper Writers - Anyone writing a paper for school, work or hobbies can find an appropriate quotations for their term papers and essays at Quotes and Sayings.
- Public Speakers and Orators - Those writing a speech can select 1 or 2 quotables quotes for those dramatic moments of your speech. There's a long tradition of borrowing dramatic quotes, as when Leo Amery (known as a boring speaker) borrowed from Oliver Cromwell in the parliamentary debate that ousted Neville Chamberlain as British PM: "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing! Depart, I say, and let us have done with you! In the name of God, go!".
- Lovers - People who want to be inspired by great quotes need to look no further than this site for inspiration. We have a large selection on poetry and love quotes, enough to cover just about every aspect of love and romance. If you're madly in love and want to savor the nectar of sweet love, read from some of the best love poetry ever written. Or if you've fallen out of love or had a heartbreak and you want to wallow in your misery, read from our unrequited love poetry.
- Poets - Poets looking for quick inspiration can compare themselves with some of the best poetry writers who've ever lived. Sometimes, reading a great poet will put a similar thought in your head, allowing you to write original and creative poetry all your own, but grounded in the classics.
- Conversationalists - People who need a good quote for conversation. Great quotes are like good jokes: they are a conversation starter. If you're about to go to a dinner or a party, check out our list of quotes and memorize one or two. See if you can fit them into the conversation and impress the other party-goers.
- New Literature Readers - People who would like to start reading great literature, but don't know where to start. If you like a quote or excerpt, you'll know to read one of their books. Check out quotes from Aristotle, Arthur Miller, William Shakespeare, Mark Twain, D.H. Lawrence, H.P. Lovecraft, Maya Angelou, Oscar Wilde, Winston Churchill or Oscar Wilde and see if any of their quotes jump out at you. If you like the way this person speaks or writes, you might enjoy a complete novel or book written by this person.
- Americans and American Patriots - We have a section called "America Quotes & Proverbs" which are the collected wisdom of some of the best and most quotable Americans who have ever lived. We also include the full text of the Declaration of Independence. Read the wisdom of the people who founded this great nation of ours.
- The Bible Curious - People who are intrigued by the Holy Bible, but aren't certain if it's accessible to them, can read our section on Biblical quotes to see if God's wisdom speaks to their hearts. These might be the most important quotes you ever read.
- Shakespeare Readers - We have 9 Shakespeare plays in their full form. Instead of going to Barnes & Noble and paying an outrageous price for a book of Shakespeare plays, you can either read Shakespeare from your computer screen or print off the plays and read the text from your own hands. The free Shakespeare play ebooks "Quotes & Sayings" offer are Romeo & Juliet, MacBeth, Taming of the Shrew, The Merchant of Venice, The Tempest, Julius Caesar, AS You Like It and All's Well That Ends Well. Also, we have collected all 154 of Shakespeares Sonnets, allowing you to read Shakespeare most famous poetry free and without pop-ups.
- Lovers of Sherlock Holmes - Quotes & Sayings offers four different Sherlock Holmes short stories, ranging from over four decades of writing by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. We have Sherlock Holmes stories ranging from 1893 to 1926, including "His Last Bow", "The Adventure of the Lion's Mane", "The Bruce-Partington Plans" and "The Final Problem". If you've always wondered whether you would enjoy reading a Sherlock Holmes novel, try reading excerpts from some of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories and see if they are your cup of tea.
- Martin Luther King - I Have a Dream Speech.
- Winston Churchill - This Was Their Finest House Speech
- Listen to a Churchill Extract
- John F. Kennedy - We Choose To Go To The Moon Speech
- Listen to Armstrong on the moon
- Nelson Mandela - I Am Prepared to Die Speech
- Neville Chamberlain - The Nazi Invasion of Poland Speech
- Neville Chamberlain - The Munich Pact with Hitler Speech
"We are resolved that these methods must come to an end. If out of the struggle we again re-establish in the world the rules of good faith and the renunciation of force, why, then even the sacrifices that will be entailed upon us will find their fullest justification."
- Neville Chamberlain on the declaration of war on Germany by Britain, saving the Western World
- Quotations of promise and fulfilment (over 200)
- Another set of quotations and proverbs from A-Z (over 100)
- Personal Quotes
Odd and Helpful
You can find out various ways to do things with no credit check here. (That one takes you to another site.)
"... I don't know. Sometimes it would stop raining long enough for the stars to come out. Then it was nice ... It's like just before the sun goes to bed down on the bay, those million sparkles on the water ... Like that mountain lake, it was so clear, Jenny, it looked like two skies, one on top of the other. And then in the desert when the sun comes up, I couldn't tell where heaven started and the earth begun. It's so beautiful ... Jenny."
"I may not be a smart man, but I do know what love is."
- Forest Gump