Quotes and Sayings
The Essence of Quotations
Quotesandsayings.com is a pop-up free site offering quotes, quotations and sayings organized by subject and by author. The site collects in one resource the most famous sayings by the most famous writers, authors and speakers in history. We take quips and witticisms from both contemporary celebrities and famous commentators of modern times, along with orations from the best speech makers ever.
We've also collected the best and most profound passages from holy books and great literature from cultures and civilizations worldwide, as well as the most stirring speeches taken from the most pivotal moments in history.
10 Types of People Best Served by Our Site
- Essayists and Paper Writers - Anyone writing a paper for school, work or hobbies can find an appropriate quotations for their term papers and essays at Quotes and Sayings.
- Public Speakers and Orators - Those writing a speech can select 1 or 2 quotables quotes for those dramatic moments of your speech. There's a long tradition of borrowing dramatic quotes, as when Leo Amery (known as a boring speaker) borrowed from Oliver Cromwell in the parliamentary debate that ousted Neville Chamberlain as British PM: "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing! Depart, I say, and let us have done with you! In the name of God, go!".
- Lovers - People who want to be inspired by great quotes need to look no further than this site for inspiration. We have a large selection on poetry and love quotes, enough to cover just about every aspect of love and romance. If you're madly in love and want to savor the nectar of sweet love, read from some of the best love poetry ever written. Or if you've fallen out of love or had a heartbreak and you want to wallow in your misery, read from our unrequited love poetry.
- Poets - Poets looking for quick inspiration can compare themselves with some of the best poetry writers who've ever lived. Sometimes, reading a great poet will put a similar thought in your head, allowing you to write original and creative poetry all your own, but grounded in the classics.
- Conversationalists - People who need a good quote for conversation. Great quotes are like good jokes: they are a conversation starter. If you're about to go to a dinner or a party, check out our list of quotes and memorize one or two. See if you can fit them into the conversation and impress the other party-goers.
- New Literature Readers - People who would like to start reading great literature, but don't know where to start. If you like a quote or excerpt, you'll know to read one of their books. Check out quotes from Aristotle, Arthur Miller, William Shakespeare, Mark Twain, D.H. Lawrence, H.P. Lovecraft, Maya Angelou, Oscar Wilde, Winston Churchill or Oscar Wilde and see if any of their quotes jump out at you. If you like the way this person speaks or writes, you might enjoy a complete novel or book written by this person.
- Americans and American Patriots - We have a section called "America Quotes & Proverbs" which are the collected wisdom of some of the best and most quotable Americans who have ever lived. We also include the full text of the Declaration of Independence. Read the wisdom of the people who founded this great nation of ours.
- The Bible Curious - People who are intrigued by the Holy Bible, but aren't certain if it's accessible to them, can read our section on Biblical quotes to see if God's wisdom speaks to their hearts. These might be the most important quotes you ever read.
- Shakespeare Readers - We have 9 Shakespeare plays in their full form. Instead of going to Barnes & Noble and paying an outrageous price for a book of Shakespeare plays, you can either read Shakespeare from your computer screen or print off the plays and read the text from your own hands. The free Shakespeare play e-books "Quotes & Sayings" offer are Romeo & Juliet, MacBeth, Taming of the Shrew, The Merchant of Venice, The Tempest, Julius Caesar, AS You Like It and All's Well That Ends Well. Also, we have collected all 154 of Shakespeares Sonnets, allowing you to read Shakespeare most famous poetry free and without pop-ups.
- Lovers of Sherlock Holmes - Quotes & Sayings offers four different Sherlock Holmes short stories, ranging from over four decades of writing by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. We have Sherlock Holmes stories ranging from 1893 to 1926, including "His Last Bow", "The Adventure of the Lion's Mane", "The Bruce-Partington Plans" and "The Final Problem". If you've always wondered whether you would enjoy reading a Sherlock Holmes novel, try reading excerpts from some of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories and see if they are your cup of tea.
- Martin Luther King - I Have a Dream Speech.
- Winston Churchill - This Was Their Finest House Speech
- Listen to a Churchill Extract
- John F. Kennedy - We Choose To Go To The Moon Speech
- Listen to Armstrong on the moon
- Nelson Mandela - I Am Prepared to Die Speech
"We are resolved that these methods must come to an end. If out of the struggle we again re-establish in the world the rules of good faith and the renunciation of force, why, then even the sacrifices that will be entailed upon us will find their fullest justification."
- Neville Chamberlain on the declaration of war on Germany by Britain, saving the Western World
- Quotations of promise and fulfillment (over 200)
- Another set of quotations and proverbs from A-Z (over 100)
- Personal Quotes
Odd and Helpful
More Good Stuff
"... I don't know. Sometimes it would stop raining long enough for the stars to come out. Then it was nice ... It's like just before the sun goes to bed down on the bay, those million sparkles on the water ... Like that mountain lake, it was so clear, Jenny, it looked like two skies, one on top of the other. And then in the desert when the sun comes up, I couldn't tell where heaven started and the earth begun. It's so beautiful ... Jenny."
"I may not be a smart man, but I do know what love is."
- Forest Gump